Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is an interesting case: I think that it probably has more variety, experimentation, and production quality than its predecessors in the Beatles' discography but I don't think I liked it more than Revolver. I'm not quite sure what it is but it didn't really hook me in the same way that Revolver did. It may be in part due to this album feeling a little meandering at times and oddly less distinct. Whereas earlier albums have clearly identifiable portions where you can say "this is a John song" or "this is the George song", this album feels more homogeneous (except for, funnily enough, a few very clear Lennon-isms in the structure of a couple songs and, again, the very obvious George song) which leads to it somehow having a slightly less distinct feel in my mind. I don't think that that sound or identity is bad but just sticks out less compared to some of their earlier works. In fact, I really love the framing of the titular band and how this is, in a way, an early pseudo-concept album. I think that the music being presented this way is done really well and fits some of the more outlandish songs, like Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!; it lends what otherwise is a string of unconnected songs a through-line that, while not that strong throughout, does give a good thematic backdrop. On the whole the actual tone and feel that most of the songs go for is pretty good, if not a bit played out for me personally. I think that George Martin's production work shines through very well throughout the album and helps to uplift a lot of good performances from the Beatles, both instrumental and vocal, which are both still really solid. In my opinion, this is kind of a mixed bag in terms of how much it interested me but I by no means didn't like it- that is to say, I thought it was good, just a little under Revolver for me.
Highlights: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, With a Little Help from My Friends, Fixing a Hole, Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!, A Day in the Life.
Rating: 4/6
Comments
Post a Comment